This is the first time I made the cake and decorate it using icing tip set. It is actually very easy and affordable and I am sure with a little practice and a lot of patient, you can achieve the same result too. The handmade ones are definitely more thoughtful and unique when it come to special days like valentine’s day.
I have my husband bake a simple sheet cake for me the night before. All he use was cake mix from the box. I did google for a basic butter cream icing receipt for my decorating process. The texture is perfect but the taste is kinda funny ( I think it’s the salt is kinda extra). I added food coloring to make the icing pink. The whole thing is a lot easier than i thought. I spend maybe 2-3 hours total for the two cakes.
Besides the icing tip tools, my kitchen is really not prepared for pastry making. I am lacking a lot of professional tools because of 2 reasons: inexperience and lack of funds. So I have to substitute a lot of tool with something else. Luckily, I am pretty creative so whatever I don’t have, I replace it with the ones I do have.
Pink butter cream frosting receipt:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened (but not melted!)
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1/2 teaspoon table salt (you can skip this also)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons heavy cream
3 drops of pink food coloring
Beat soft butter for a few minutes with a mixer. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt (optional), and 4 tablespoons of cream and beat for for 3 minutes. Add 3 drops of pink food coloring and mix until you achieve the desire color.
1. Heart Shape Baking Pan ( We bake a rectangle shape sheet cake and cut a heart shape using parchment paper and place it on the cake, then trace it with the knife and cut out my desire 2 sizes 2 layers heart shapes cake base)
2. Cake Decorating Spinning Stand ( I use a rectangle deep brownie baking pan in stead, Flip it over and place cake on top with parchment paper in the middle)
3. Flour Sifter ( I happen to have some fine net fried food oil drainer so i place my powder sugar on there and sift them using a big spoon)
Tricks and tips:
1. Soften butter by leaving it out for at least 1 hour
2. Make your own icing bag from parchment paper to avoid cleaning up for later
3. Harden melted butter cream by putting it into the refrigerator for 2 minutes
4. Gather cake decorating lesson videos from Google on this subject and learn the basic
5. Add food coloring one drop at a time to avoid overdoing it
6. Use flower nails for creating roses for the cake
7. Place a sheet of small parchment paper on top of flower nail for easy removal of finish roses
8. Refrigerate the cake to keep icing shape longer until it’s time for serving
9. Use heart shape cookie cutter for smaller version cake cutting